Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Crock Pot Cooking

The temperatures may be cooling down, but things in the kitchen are certainly heating up.  With the cold weather, I prepare a lot of meals in my crock pot.  I had purchased the Hamilton Beach 5 Quart Stay or Go Slow Cooker from Bed Bath and Beyond for only $30!   The size is perfect for cooking everything from a six pound chicken to two three pound roasts!  It has a secured lid, which avoids spillage when taking it to parties, etc.




Recently, I made a roast with carrots, potatoes, carrots, onions, salt/pepper, with a little beef broth.  I set the crock pot to low.  After 6 hours, the roast was moist and tender and the house smelled delicious.  I added more vegetables and water, as I will be making soups with the leftover roast.  The next night, we had homemade roast soup, which I poured over egg noodles. 


I have made chicken, roast, soups, chili and ribs in the crock pot.  I love the idea that you can get multiple meals out of one piece of meat.  Not to mention, it slowly cooks the meat, which makes it very tender, juicy, and full of flavor!

There are many cookbooks available for many more recipes for using your crock pot.  One of my favorite crock pot cookbooks is "Fix It and Forget It Big Cookbook", which offers 1400 recipes!  Be sure to check out the Crock Pot Girls on Facebook.  They offer many recipes using a crock pot and fans exchange recipes with each other.  Be sure to check out their website for more recipes and uses for your crock pot. 


The next time you don't have the time to cook or want something to warm you up, be sure to take out the crock pot and cook you and your family a delicious, hearty meal.  You will be happy to come home and be welcomed by the smell of a delicious dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I bought one of these at a garage sale and it didn't have a knob I am curious to what the temperatures go on that model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got moms, I always turn it all the way to right but would like to know as well

    ReplyDelete