Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shake, Shake, Shake

The day started off to be a normal Tuesday, with a cup of coffee and a lot of phone calls to make and emails to respond to.  The only thing on the agenda was getting my hair done, but little did I know that my day would be shaken up, literally!

At 1:53 PM, the house started to shake and I thought it was because of the house construction up the street, but then then shaking became more violent.  The house began to sway back and forth, while picture frames rattled and I kept thinking that the house as going to collapse.  After nearly two minutes, the shaking had stopped and the neighbors had poured into the streets and that is when I heard "I think that was an earthquake."


I frantically attempted to call John, but the phone lines were down.  Thankfully, the Internet was still working, so I sent him an IM that said "Call me ASAP", his response was one word "EARTHQUAKE".

It was by far the scariest moment of my life.  One minute I am folding laundry and the next, I am hearing "earthquake" all over the news.  It was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake, with the epicenter being in Virginia.
Thankfully there was no damage to the house, just a few items, which had fallen from the storage shelves.  There was minimal damage throughout the city, but thankfully no one was harmed in the earthquake.

I survived my first earthquake, and it was a very scary experience.  Now, we must prepare for Hurricane Irene, which is scheduled to hit the area on Sunday.  At least with hurricanes, I know the routine!

1 comment:

  1. How terrifying! My niece Lillian has now been through 2 of the most infamous Earthquakes! The awful one in Japan and now the strangest one on the East Coast. Glad you guys are ok. Will be thinking of you throughout Irene... :-/

    ReplyDelete